After the fire is out and the smoke has cleared, call ServiceMaster of Centreville/Clifton in Sterling, Virginia to help with the cleanup and increase your chances of a complete recovery.
To help ensure a successful restoration, here are a few things you should and should not do after disaster strikes.
What to do:
- Call ServiceMaster of Centreville/Clifton immediately. Corrosive byproducts from fire and smoke can cause etching that is irreversible in as few as 72 hours.
- Air out your home by opening windows and doors to reduce the smoke odor.
- To prevent permanent tarnishing or etching, clean any Formica, chrome, porcelain and aluminum fixtures.
- If you use forced air, clean the air filter in your furnace.
- To capture any loose soot in the air, cover important documents with damp cheesecloth.
- Throw out any open food packages.
- Turn off the electricity to your refrigerator, clean thoroughly and leave the doors propped open.
What not to do:
- Don't touch anything like upholstery, walls and woodwork. Oil from your hands can permeate cloth and wood, causing additional damage.
- Do not attempt to wash your walls. Cleaning incorrectly can compound the soot residue.
- Do not attempt to clean carpets or upholstery yourself. Call a professional like ServiceMaster of Centreville/Clifton.
- Do not use any electrical appliances until they have been checked thoroughly by a professional.
- If the ceiling is wet, do not use ceiling fixtures.
Brand names are registered trademarks of The ServiceMaster Company and
its affiliates. ServiceMaster Clean and ServiceMaster Restore services provided by independently
owned and operated franchises and may vary depending on location. An independent business licensed to
serve you by ServiceMaster Clean.
©2000-2014 The ServiceMaster Company. All Rights Reserved.